Music Banter - View Single Post - Most Underrated/Overrated Artists
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2013, 12:55 AM   #1877 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash_Rendar View Post
I have a ton of bands I really feel are overrated (mainly by pretentious rock elitist mags like Spin and Rolling Stone), but I will boil my list down to 5 I have TRIED so hard to like.

1. Sonic Youth: give me all the **** you want I've listened to Daydream Nation, Goo and Dirty numerous times and was not impressed.
2. Radiohead: I actually like a decent amount of their songs, but people seem to worship every piece of music they put out, even when it's IMO not great)
3. The Smiths: Like Radiohead I do like a handful of songs, but not quite as much. Morissey's voice and lyrics make me think he's an extremely self-centered douche.
4. Pavement: People rant and rave about Concrete and how it's the most "influential" album of the early 90's. I didn't hate the album, but again I feel it's highly overrated and can't honestly say I had any of the songs stuck in my head.
5. My Bloody Valentine: The only people who overrate this noise garbage is pretentious music journalists who love anything ambient. I'm sorry if you like them, but IMO it's just a bunch of off-key chords and distortion with reverb and layered sound.
I like the top three bands, I don't think they are over-rated by any means. I mean by who's standards? Like fans or music review magazines? Because the Smiths are as revered as The Beatles are to most modern music critic and they are not to be disputed. Radiohead is awesome because Thome Yorke is awesome because he was born in 68 and that makes him great. Sonic Youth are bitchin' because they play noisy alternate tuned (as Sequoioideae puts it) "offset guitars." Pavement I don't know what to say but ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew. I don't listen to My Bloody Valentine because I have trouble listen to bands with some kind of gruesome imagery in their title like Death Cab for Cutie or Between the Buried Amy. So Bloody turned me off with their name, one thing I didn't think of before that I just realized right now is that I always interpreted at Bloody in the American connotation of the word, not the British, which I guess would be if translated into the normal American-English language My F@#%ing Valentine, if that is the case I might take a look into them.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote