Music Banter - View Single Post - The many benefits of a child-free life
View Single Post
Old 11-20-2013, 05:16 AM   #20 (permalink)
djchameleon
A.B.N.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyislingering View Post
As long as I've been alive, I've never had a desire to be around children. I've never wanted one of my own, and I've never been able to find any reason why it would be a logical decision for me (or anyone).

Usually when people find out about this, they're aghast. They're so offended by a woman in charge of her body, making her own decisions about what she wants or doesn't want to do with it. They can't believe what they're hearing. I get a lot of hate for my lifestyle, and it surprises me. The love of my life has the same beliefs I do about the childfree life: it's fabulous, rewarding, and what we'll keep on doing forever. Neither of us want children, and here's why I believe a lot of people could benefit from swearing off the social pressure of having children.

Think about it: why do people have children? Most of the time it's because that's what they think they're "supposed to do". People follow this ridiculous recipe for the "perfect" life, and they lose themselves in it.

First I'll discuss the things that we enjoy as a childfree couple, then I'll let you in on my personal freedoms and pleasures that would be robbed from me if I made the mistake of having a child.

Spoiler for disclaimer:
I don't hate or look down on people who have children if they genuinely love them and are able to take care of them to the best of their ability. I just don't want to be one of them.

As a childfree couple, we are able to:

Spoiler for politely contained in a spoiler to minimize stretching:
Buy nice things for each other, and fill our apartment with nice things without having to worry about child-proofing.

Sleep in on our days off, sleep early, sleep late. Sleep whenever it's convenient. God, we love our sleep. The only thing either of us will wake up for in the middle of the night is a long piss, maximum of a minute or two, and we're back to sleep. Can't do that with screaming gremlins.

Save a ton of money on everything because we don't have to buy things for children. When we get our cats, it'll still be easy. Cat food is less than 75 cents per can, and you can buy kibble in giant bags. It's like giving up a weekly Starbucks run. It's nothin'. And cat litter is infinitely cheaper than baby diapers or any other ridiculous thing those smelly ingrates require.

Uninterrupted sex. And I have a nice figure that will never be destroyed by childbearing. I'll never have a cavernous vagina, or a flabby body for the vain hope of letting forth my genetics, creating a human that will hate me when they're 12. Fuck that!

Dual income, and we don't have to worry about planning our days around kids. We can both work as much as we please, spend our days off however we want, and enjoy ourselves.

Minimal chores, and the grossest it gets is a mildly dirty toilet. No diaper changing, no sponging up projectile vomit (at least when cats vomit, it doesn't get everywhere), no dirty face to wipe off, no food or boogers or poop smeared on walls. We only have to take out the trash once a week.

Endless time to surf the internet or relax together however we please.

There are many more that I'm possibly forgetting, but our life is truly beautiful because we don't have any kids, and never will.

Some of the little things I enjoy as a child-free woman:

Spoiler for contained in a spoiler as to not stretch your page:
Taking as much time as I like to put on make-up, fix my hair, choose the right outfit, etc. I don't have to worry about keeping an eye on a child, or dressing a child. I can take my time and work on myself.

My record collection, and the fact that I can leave my phonograph unattended and not have to worry about some nasty little brat ruining the record or the machine.

I can maintain ass-length hair and not have it pulled or messed by a child.

I can have dozens of candles all around the apartment. It's much easier to cat-proof than to child-proof your candle burning zones. Cats don't have thumbs.

I can devote all of my attention to the one I love. He'll never be neglected in any way (as I'm sure many fathers are - mom doesn't have time for baby and dad).

I don't need to buy health insurance. I don't have it, and I don't feel I need it. If I had a kid, I'd have to pay for all of that shit. No thanks.

And that's just the beginning of how rewarding it is to be child-free.

Now for the poll: do you see a necessity in breeding?
Personally, I want to have my own children one day. I want to pass on my genes. Yes, adoption is ideal but I'd love to have a child that was created by me and shares the same blood as me. I'm getting to that stage in life where I only have five years left to have a kid or else I won't and then I'll end up being a crazy cat lady.

There are studies which I don't feel like looking up right now that shows that people are waiting longer to become parents than previous generations. I think that is a really good thing because you do have to be in a certain mindset and it is excellent to have job security to be able to provide for your child. I know there are accidental births that happen and people end up keeping them while raising them to be perfectly fine. There are also people on the other side of the coin that has no business raising children and should have had an abortion or given their kid up for adoption.

You don't need to buy health insurance but you should. You never know when something bad will happen to you and then you aren't covered because you thing you are invincible. That's the problem with our generation the millennials we aren't buying insurance because we think we don't need it. If I wasn't around covered I would buy insurance to help fund the ACA but that's whole other topic which I should update since I created that thread.

Also when you have a child you are saying you wouldn't love it and devote your attention to it? love isn't something that can only be focused on one person and that's it. You love your cats don't you. The same thing applies to children.

Child proofing candles is so simple. Your post sounds like a list of excuses to try to justify why you don't want children but they are really easy fixes. Some of your excuses are fine and I understand them but others are just straight up silly.

Excellent figure that wasn't destroyed by kids. Another excuse of yours that doesn't really hold water.

At the end of the day, I don't blame you for not wanting to have children and live a child-free life but I just wanted to counter some silly points you were making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Charlie View Post
No desire to have kids. Not currently anyway. But who knows, people change. Also, I'm not sure I'd make a very good father. All those rules to set out. Don't like rules.
Most people say that. They don't think they will make a good father/mother until they have one and then they wing it as they go and end up becoming the father/mother that they NEED to be for their child.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyislingering View Post

Furthermore I feel it's more responsible to not risk having a kid who's blind (it runs in both of us) or very sick, especially knowing that I'd never be able to afford the essential care for a healthy pregnancy or anything like that. Kids just don't suit up with my life.
I know you don't want to have children but if you did. Technology has advanced so you could get tested to find out the exact percentages of you having a child that is born blind or with whatever genetic disorder that you are worried about. I feel like that's not even a big deal.
Fame, fortune, power, titties. People say these are the most crucial things in life, but you can have a pocket full o' gold and it doesn't mean sh*t if you don't have someone to share that gold with. Seems simple. Yet it's an important lesson to learn. Even lone wolves run in packs sometimes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoxyRollah View Post
IMO I don't know jack-**** though so don't listen to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Pepe Kalle View Post
The problem is that most police officers in America are psychopaths.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
You're a terrible dictionary.
djchameleon is offline   Reply With Quote