Music Banter - View Single Post - Black Metal!
Thread: Black Metal!
View Single Post
Old 11-22-2013, 08:55 PM   #180 (permalink)
Primeval Scum
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sly2kusa View Post
I hate to sound like such a N00b, but what really defines Black Metal? It sounds like old punk mixed with an orchestra. Not bad, but can someone give me a deeper definition for the music?
Well most black metal doesn't have an orchestra. You must've heard a symphonic black metal band, which is a subgenre.

Anyways, black metal was an offshoot from thrash metal that developed in Norway in the 80s/90s, distinguishable by often a rough production, fast blast beat drumming with emphasis on the snares, simple tremolo-picked guitar riffs, dark and "evil" atmosphere and lyrical content and high pitched piercing shrieked vocals. These fundamental aspects of black metal have been developed into multiple subgenres over the years such as symphonic black metal (uses orchestral instruments) and Folk Black Metal (focuses on nature and is extremely ethereal). I hope that clarifies. It's a very diverse genre with a lot of different sounds. Let me know if you want some examples.

Don't grieve for me, I'm not there. I am the gentle autumn rain. Hold up my lamp to light your way. Farewell to thee...
Primeval Scum is offline   Reply With Quote