Music Banter - View Single Post - The many benefits of a child-free life
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #91 (permalink)
Scarlett O'Hara
Make it so

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
People that beat their kids as oppose to spanking are the worse. Also, you should never spank a kid when you are mad because you will tend to go overboard. I agree with spanking but would never do it in public. People are quick to call CPS on you for a light spanking. While others stand by watching kids get pushed face down into carts and won't even call the police.
I used to get smacked, throttled, hit and slapped by my mother for small stuff like getting my school uniform dirty. I developed anxiety at an early age because I was so afraid of upsetting her. She hit me at 14 and dad told her to stop because one day I'd hit her back. I think my complicated relationship with my mom who was strict gave me the fuel to rebel so from 14 I was a heavy drinker, smoker and pot smoker. By 17 my parents told me one more **** up and I'd be booted out. I pulled my head in and although I drank a lot in my fun Uni years I didn't feel the need to go to far with it. My mother and I get on now like a house on fire and I don't have an ill feelings toward her because she was often under a lot of stress including post natal depression and major depression and PTSD after her dad died. She literally stopped eating, she kept passing out because she was so under weight. I am worried about having kids. Not because of the pregnancy or giving birth but the thought of me losing it at my kid like mom did. Everyone in my family on both sides has had depression and anxiety (including me after an assault). I'm a really calm laid back person but I've been through a pile of **** with chronic pain since I was 11, other health problems plus a reliance on opoids and sleeping pills. I don't want to pass on Endometriosis to my daughter but my mom desperately wants to have grandchildren (I'm an only child). I also worry that I will get too old by the time I find the right person. Like Burning Down said, the older you have the children the more likely the child may have disabilities. I'm very career focused am not sure I want to give it up to look after a child. At least by the time I'm 40 I hope to be well off.

If I was to answer for sure I would certainly be up for having 1-2 children.