Music Banter - View Single Post - The many benefits of a child-free life
View Single Post
Old 11-23-2013, 02:14 PM   #94 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

Quote:
Originally Posted by djchameleon View Post
Well with genetic conditions like that you can get yourself tested and most of the time they end up skipping a generation. .
My mother had endometriosis before I was born. She genuinely wanted a child, and they told her that she could never have one. I was essentially a "miracle" in her terms (my sister followed 5yrs later) but where there's a will in biology, there's a way. She continued to have a lot of problems with her reproductive organs. She had a tubal litigation after my sister was born (but had to fight for it for some stupid reason - they thought she'd change her mind or some other ridiculous nonsense) and a full hysterectomy when I was about 15. She had a lot of cysts and some other horrible things going on, so that was her only choice to make the pain stop forever.

Spoiler for some other related stuff:
My sister is starting to show some problems (ovarian cysts and some other nasty TMI stuff) but she had a vaccination for HPV (I don't see what the point was - she's never been sexually active). Now, the freaky thing is, my grandma had cervical cancer when she was in her early 20s. They were able to remove it (she'd already had 3 daughters at that point) with a full hysterectomy and removal of the cervix/ovaries but I've always been worried about getting it myself (it skips generations).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanilla View Post
That's great advice. It's just the depression thing has hit every generation of my family, my aunty nearly attempted suicide.
Mental illness has run like crazy on both sides of my family (and in Ki's). Another reason I've chosen not to procreate is because I don't want to subject an innocent child to the possibilities of depression, anxiety, borderline personality disorder, and even schizophrenia. I suffer so much as a prisoner of my own mind and the stupid chemical problems it has that it would tear me down to give that to another life form. I could literally never forgive myself.