Music Banter - View Single Post - The many benefits of a child-free life
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 07:40 PM   #166 (permalink)
Mr. Charlie
Shoo Thoughts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard Donner View Post
Well, yeah. The backbone of the philosophy is that there is a negative value assigned to birth. It's all about the negativity, man. :p

I wasn't directing that comment at you, btw. "Insane" was a word used by someone in real life. And I totally get it, it does seem insane and bizarre and unjustified but I've spent a lot - A LOT - of time and energy researching and pondering and reading and questioning everything about antinatalism and I just haven't yet come across anything that invalidates it. The closest I've gotten is "Schopenhauer's a dick." I consider myself open minded in regards to my stance on this philosophy in that I'm very willing to have my mind changed, but it would take a ****load of convincing.
So it's an extension of Schopenhauer's philosophy? I've read one of his books, On The Suffering Of The World. He seemed a clever guy and quite insightful but rather depressive with it. Much like Nietzsche in that respect.

Personally, I have a hard time putting my faith in any philosophy that can't make it's creator happy. It is my firm belief that Nature creates everything for it's own good, sure sometimes thing go wrong and things are born with defects and/or diseases, but generally speaking we are all equipped to experience the joy of life. Strip away the heavy thinking, the desire to make sense of everything, the thirst for knowledge, and all abstractions of the mind and I believe we get down to the base human condition, a condition of joy.

Anyway, like I alluded to earlier, I'm not putting your ideas down. Merely presenting an alternative.
Mr. Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote