Music Banter - View Single Post - The many benefits of a child-free life
View Single Post
Old 11-25-2013, 07:41 PM   #167 (permalink)
John Wilkes Booth
Account Disabled

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkyard Donner View Post
Well, yeah. The backbone of the philosophy is that there is a negative value assigned to birth. It's all about the negativity, man. :p

I wasn't directing that comment at you, btw. "Insane" was a word used by someone in real life. And I totally get it, it does seem insane and bizarre and unjustified but I've spent a lot - A LOT - of time and energy researching and pondering and reading and questioning everything about antinatalism and I just haven't yet come across anything that invalidates it. The closest I've gotten is "Schopenhauer's a dick." I consider myself open minded in that I'm very willing to have my mind changed, but it takes a ****load of convincing.
I just wanted to put that out there, bizarre isn't the same as insane but it dawned on me that it was less than polite.

I don't actually disagree with the idea that imposing life is imposing harm, when it gets right down to it. I know what you're saying there. I just disagree that imposing harm is an absolute wrong. If the harm comes bundled with all the joys of existence, then I can't see it as a bad deal in most cases.

And when I think about the fact that our brains are a part of the tiny tiny percentage of matter in the known universe with the capacity for consciousness, I usually think of that as an amazing privilege rather than a burden to bear, though it is admittedly both.

I don't expect any of that to change your mind, that's just where I'm at with it.
John Wilkes Booth is offline   Reply With Quote