Music Banter - View Single Post - Self Trained VS Professional Trained Musicians
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2013, 08:54 PM   #3 (permalink)
Psychedub Dude
Nowhere Man

I would agree that self taught musicians may be a little more creative in a sense, but that doesn't mean the pro taught couldn't be as creative. It's a tough call. Musicians are musicians; self taught or not

I'm self taught Drums, Piano and Vocals. I started with drums; I used to listen to Sublime songs and play to them to learn initially. Bud Gaugh essentially taught me drums haha

Piano I started messing around with and eventually picked up a knack for it. It didn't take much time either. The drums and piano really came very naturally to me. It was like right from the get go they made sense.

I didn't start singing till I started playing guitar which I took one semester class a few years ago that just taught the basics. Stuff like Open Chords, Barr Chords, Blues and Pentatonic Scales. Guitar was the instrument I had a little trouble picking up from the get go. But after this class I took what I learned and went in my own way.

I think I got lucky because my family is full of musicians. My Dad is a gifted self taught guitarist and drummer. My grandma was a really gifted piano player. I think it helps a lot having a musical background in your family. It really goes a long way.
Eat up all their MC's and drink 'em under the table

[B]Last.fm

Shadows Of Our Souls
Psychedub Dude is offline   Reply With Quote