Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 12:17 PM   #2041 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Okay, well after the week I’ve had I could certainly do with some

so let’s have a look at a few more songs that just basically lift me when I hear them. Sometimes there’s no reason why songs like these cheer me up; sometimes they evoke a mood or memory, often it’s in the lyric or just the music, and then again there are times when I simply don’t know why they put me in a good mood; they just do. But I could definitely do with some cheering up right now, so let’s go…

Moderator cut: image removed

“Building a bridge to your heart” --- Wax, from the album “American English”, 1987

From the opening “One! Two! One-two-three-four -- hold it --- NOW!”” to the catchy melody line and the “Woah-oh-oh-oh-oh-oh!”s all through the chorus, this song just makes me smile whenever I hear it, which is nowhere near enough. Wax were a short-lived UK “supergroup” made up of Andrew Gold, best known for his hits “Never let her slip away” and “Lonely boy”, and 10cc guitarist Graham Gouldman. The band only lasted till 1990, when Gouldman returned to help reform 10cc.

“Happy hour” --- The Housemartins, from the album “London 0 Hull 4”, 1986

I know I’ve featured this track somewhere else in my journal, but it’s certainly a song you have to be made of stone not to smile at. The happy, jumping rhythm, the rapid-fire vocal delivery and the general sense of fun shows why the Housemartins were so popular during the late eighties, despite only putting out two albums between ‘86 and ‘87, before splitting to form the Beautiful South.

“Foreplay/Long time” --- Boston, from the debut album “Boston”, 1976

What do I love about this track? It’s kind of a hybrid song really. The powerful organ intro makes it seem like you’re going to be listening to a progressive rock track, if you don’t know Boston as a band, and then the drums kicking in and that soaraway rock guitar from Tom Scholz as the song really takes off: just love it. Mind you, it could end better, but then you can’t have everything..

“Let your love flow” --- Bellamy Brothers, from the album “Let your love flow”, 1976

Turned down by Neil Diamond, this went on to become one of the great Country crossover hits for the Bellamy Brothers, hitting number one on the Billboard Hot 100 and also becoming a hit in the UK as well as other territories. It has such an uplifting, if simple message, that it’s hard not to be drawn in. It also has little if any steel guitar, so doesn’t really sound that much like your typical Country song. Not that there’s anything wrong with Country songs. But this is just a great feel-good, kick back happy song.

“Ashes” --- Embrace, from the album “Out of nothing”, 2004

A song I knew nothing about until I saw it performed on MTV, or one of the many video channels available these days, it just struck me with its upbeat sound and feel, a great lyric and some superb instrumentation. Just one of those songs that captures the moment I guess. Again, it could do with a better ending, but I really love this song and it always lifts my mood when I hear it.