Music Banter - View Single Post - Self Trained VS Professional Trained Musicians
View Single Post
Old 11-27-2013, 12:36 PM   #8 (permalink)
Psychedub Dude
Nowhere Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jingle Balls View Post
Creativity depends on the person themselves, self taught or not. Some people just aren't creative. Then again, some are innovators.
Exactly, the instrument is their hands it's entirely up to the musician to use it how they see.

Plankton
Quote:
It's my experience that trained musicians tend to follow the given rules of their chosen instrument more often, whereas someone self taught will use exploration to get a desired result, and exploration can wield some unexpected results. You could call it creativity, but most often it's just a vehicle for expression either way. Trained or untrained, ability lies within the person holding the instrument and their understanding of music. SOMEONE had to start making the given rules, and it is quite possible there are people that have come afterward that have the same realizations without being told, as the ones who made them.

Exploration can definitely lead to a lot of possibilities that someone not inclined to do so could find. It's all open, that's whats so amazing about music. Every musician is different. I think that's why it's so great to jam with others and seeing how one another jams.

My bassist and friend Chris has been getting lessons for 10 years now. He has a wealth of knowledge on the instrument. He knows a lot more about music theory than I do. Yet it doesn't hinder his creativity. He is really great at improvising. It's like you guys said it's all upto the musician and what you do with it.
Eat up all their MC's and drink 'em under the table

[B]Last.fm

Shadows Of Our Souls
Psychedub Dude is offline   Reply With Quote