Music Banter - View Single Post - singing tips?
Thread: singing tips?
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2005, 06:18 AM   #5 (permalink)
DontRunMeOver
They call me Tundra Boy

Well, I'll try to remember some, although I'm not convinced that if you're too lazy to search for the exercise that you'll have the energy to try them out...

1. Diaphragm exercise - Stand up straight (not rigid though). Keeping your shoulders relaxed, rest both of your hands lightly over your belly button. Inhale in as fully as you can - for me it works if to imagine that my torso is inflating from somewhere in its very centre. Once you have inhaled fully, expel all of the air with a loud 'huh' or 'ha', trying to get all of the air out in one go. Two things to remember are:
i) You're trying to get as much air as possible into your lungs, so don't allow any other part of your body to restrict the size to which your lungs can expand.
ii) The best way to get the air out quickly is by rapidly pulling in your stomach, which forces the diaphragm upwards. You can feel how well you are achieving this as you have your hands on your stomach.

2. Breath control exercise - Take a small piece of paper (about 4x4 cm), face a smooth wall and hold the paper on it a mouth height. Start to blow on the paper (at a right-angle to the plane of the paper), remove your hand from the paper and keep the paper on the wall for as long as possible by using the airflow coming from your mouth.

Exercises related to tuning and articulation you can perform youself. Sing different scales, different rhythms, use metronomes and guitar tuners in different ways. If your going to be singing in a band then make sure you do some singing to backing, not just singing along to CDs, as this will allow you to develop your sound, timing and tuning properly.
DontRunMeOver is offline   Reply With Quote