Music Banter - View Single Post - The many benefits of a child-free life
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013, 10:08 PM   #212 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladyislingering View Post
The deaf child could literally feel the vibration of the music? That's incredible.

I wonder if any of those children will grow up to be fascinated with music, or to be more inclined to learn music theory.
We assumed so, based on the mother reporting fetal movement during the 8 month test. At that point, ears are fully developed in a normal baby, so since we learned her baby was born deaf I can only assume that the ears were not developed at all, and that small vibrations from the loud sound is what caused the movement or excitement.

There have been studies done with deaf people of all age ranges being able to enjoy music through vibrations. That's a whole other fascinating topic that also helps us understand how hearing people (i.e. you and me) enjoy music not only through sound, but also through the vibrations.

I'd also be interested to know if those babies (toddlers now I guess) have shown an interest in music or learning music. And not from those Baby Mozart DVD's or whatever they're called, either (those irritate me since they don't actually enhance cognitive musical development at all). I mean through actual teacher-student lessons, dancing to songs on the radio, and going to see the symphony when they do special concerts for children.

Babies have perfect hearing. Hearing declines as one ages so that's why babies are preferred for this research.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote