Music Banter - View Single Post - The many benefits of a child-free life
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #219 (permalink)
ladyislingering
Maelian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burning Down View Post
A deaf person's other 4 senses are extremely heightened, to make up for the lack of hearing. Feeling of sound (feeling the vibrations) in deaf people is actually sensed by the area of the brain normally used to process sound waves picked up by the ears. The brain then attaches emotions to this. From a study done at the University of Washington:

Brains of deaf people rewire to ‘hear’ music | UW Today

My absolute favourite example of deafness and music perception and composition is Beethoven. A lot of his later works make extensive use of lower frequency notes (heavy bass), and now we understand that he did this because he could "feel" those notes better than pitches of a higher frequency.

The unfortunate part is that Beethoven did not get to hear his own compositions. He had no idea what they sounded like, if they were great or disastrous. He only saw the music on paper.
Is it odd to say that I actually have tears in my eyes right now? That's seriously amazing. The capabilities of the human brain are so vast and magnificent. (Plus I just love learning about cool stuff, so without saying too much, I really appreciate everything you just posted.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
After twenty-seven years I've still never held a baby and I have no particular desire to. If he threw up on me I'd stick my finger down my throat and give him a taste of his own medicine. And god help him if he ****s in his diaper.
My mother told me that when I was a baby, she was hovering me over her face (I don't understand why parents do this, they should know better) and bouncing me or some weird thing, and I vomited on her face.

It was in her mouth.

Seriously. That's repellent enough.