Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013, 05:14 AM   #553 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Guys, I had a PM from Big Ears (maybe some of you did too, I don't know) wherein he tells me he's decided to leave the club. He's upset about a difference of opinion that seemed to arise while I was away regarding some album by Subsignal, says someone more or less laughed at what he said.

Now, I wasn't there and I'm not going to point fingers, nor do I want to know who he had the problem with --- whoever you are, you know --- but I would like to point out, if it needs saying, that everyone's opinion should be respected here. If DJ thinks Genesis are crap I'll argue like hell with him but will always be respectful and expect the same. If Ant hates Shadow Gallery I'll talk to him about it, but in the end I find it's very hard to change someone's mind when they love, or more specifically hate a band or artiste, so I normally don't personally push that.

I don't know if Big Ears is overreacting: in all the time I've been here I've never taken offence from anything said here, even if it was that people hated my choice or my review. I usually took it in good part. But the offending posts have been deleted so I can't say what went on. I would just hope that from now on we could all respect the opinion of everyone else. We're not all going to think the same on every album and that needs to be recognised. This club thrives and will survive on healthy debate, but also an innate respect for all opinions.

I am sad to see Big Ears go; I think he was a great contributor and I've told him the door is open for him to come back any time he wants, but he definitely seems to be hurting from this experience, so I respect that. I jsut hope we will see no repeats, and some day the large-eared one may make a return to our shores. In the meantime, again the watchword is respect. Nobody's going to agree with your opinion one hundred percent of the time, but they have every right to hold their own opinion and should not be laughed at or ridiculed because theirs differs from yours. At worst, I would hope such arguments could be sorted out in PM, but this does not seem to have happened in this case.

So let's try to make/keep this place a friendly club, and not lose any more members, okay?

Thanks guys.
Peace and respect, always.
TH