Music Banter - View Single Post - What Are You listening To V.III Metal!
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013, 10:29 AM   #1534 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
Metal Church is one of those bands that's easy to dismiss as a bunch of dunderheads without a clue. Not without reason, their name is Metal Church after all, their lyrics are one big cliche, and the singer is pretty embarrassing. But those unwilling to give them a second listen are missing out. They show a surprising amount of sophistication for a band in the hinterland between Iron Maiden and Metallica. They generally don't go pedal-to-the-metal, instead opting for an atmospheric approach that creates a dark mood that speaks of class not to be found with many bands of their ilk. This song is one of the best showcases for this in their catalogue. It's one of those metal songs that manages to be a ballad, yet still be an entirely convincing metal song at the same time, a feat usually only accomplished by Metallica. And their vocalist, cheesy though he may sound, puts in a brilliant performance that brings the dark vibe of the song to another level.

Metal Church is always in the rotation for me. Their first self titled was my constant companion when I skipped town at a young age. I'm actually thinking about covering this one with a singer from another forum who has a similar voice. Love the main riff on this. Just ****ing massive.