Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013, 12:11 PM   #435 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
I don't want to spoil your number 1, so I have three guesses, one from the UK, one from the USA and one from Germany. Two of the bands have the letter Z in their names.
Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top and Thin Lizzy are the 'Z's' Lizzy have already been featured, ZZ Top usually appear in the extras section and Zeppelin were well past their best at this stage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
And I have no idea which would be #1 here either. I figured it would either be AC/DC or Motorhead. Just Googling I see that the Scorpions, UFO, and Triumph all had albums in '79. I'm not particularly familiar with UFO, and I've never listened to Triumph, but if he gives it to the Scorpions then I'm boycotting this thread. Iron Maiden actually released their debut EP that year, but I've never heard it so I don't know its quality, and I don't know if he's counting EPs.
I'm not including EP's and you won't be boycotting anything either!

Quote:
Originally Posted by William_the_Bloody View Post
Your right, I missed that he had already put down Hell Bent for Leather, which I always think is 79 for some reason. I can't get into Priest for some reason, not even British Steel really grabs me. It is strange because I could listen to Sabbath all day, but Priest's songs just don't seem to have... the replay value???

I hope its not The Scorpions either, but wouldn't be surprised if it is, this is a very niche metal head thread which is fine by me, throwing in punk would make things to convoluted.

He's put a lot of effort into the thread, more than I could ever be bothered to do, so I won't boycott, everyone has their own musical taste. When I did my hardcore/punk countdown it was all fun and games until I got to the top 10, than I could see everyone's nose getting out of joint, lol.

Since you threw down your guesses I mind as well give my other two. Zeppelin released their final studio album in 79, far from their best release, so I am going to with some Cheap Sunglasses. ZZ Top's Degüello is my other guest.
Remember UK and US release dates sometimes differed and I've used UK release dates most of the time.

As this thread is now starting to get where a lot of people first started listening to this kind of music (early to mid 1980s) more people will therefore be more knowledgeable and critical of certain entries such as me not putting a band like AC/DC in top spot.

The criteria I've used to rate the albums has been a mixture of what I personally like, what is influential, the type of impact the album had when it was released and in the future, its originality, its consistency, the opinions both positive and negative of music critics etc but when in doubt I've gone with my gut feeling which is what I've done for the no.1 spot in 1979, as I believe the album is what this journal's all about.

You say you can't get into Priest, the album that's the killer from them is Stained Class and songs like this should put hairs on your chest.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote