Music Banter - View Single Post - Talk about your instrument/gear!!!
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #392 (permalink)
Burning Down
The Music Guru.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plankton View Post
Ouch. It's a shame you can't play before you pay as with most instruments I'm familiar with. I've played some very expensive guitars that were utter crap and would've been ready to kill something/somebody if I had purchased blind.

You'll most likely be able to have it worked on (right?), but thats more $$ of course.

I feel for ya BD. I hate big money purchases.
I always try play before I buy. Alto flute are hard to find in store though, they are generally custom made to your specifications (and same with bass flutes). But I found this one in store, played it, and loved it. The problem is that it has a couple of faulty screws and the trill keys weren't working right. Every wind player will tell you that a screw that is turned even an 8th of a turn will throw the whole thing out of tune. It's not expensive to fix, since I'm a regular customer and they give me discounts all the time, but I'm frustrated.

It's my first time buying a flute at that store (not going to say in case they monitor their reviews through Google or anything), and while I don't think they did anything wrong, they insinuated that I broke the instrument when I brought it home. Funny, because when I bought a guitar there last year and brought it right back to fix some scratches that were there already, they never batted an eye.

I bought my soprano C flute at the Flute World store in Detroit (when I was down that way - I didn't purposely drive 5 hours for a flute, lol), and I had no problems. Sigh.

I know this will blow over soon enough and I'll have a beautiful instrument in my hands, but for now I'm just annoyed.
Burning Down is offline   Reply With Quote