Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 02:46 PM   #2066 (permalink)
Ninetales
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trollheart View Post
Because it IS the easy way out. Sure, some of these are blessed with a decent voice but they then hand over their career direction to Cowell and his ilk, who make them into stars primarily to make money off them. You should have a work ethic in music, not have everything handed to you: oh look! Here's a studio you can use. Here's a band. Here are some songs you can learn. And here's a music mogul to, ah, mentor you.
Why would a record label take you on if they didnt think they could make money off of you? Like it or not that's how business is run, even back with The Beatles. You're oversimplifying how hard it is to actually get to that point while not considering the vast majority that dont get close. It's an incredibly small sample that actually makes it (and even smaller when considering how many actually become famous).

Quote:
Bollocks! None of this in my day. If you wanted to get noticed you got up off your arse and spent time tramping around labels and managers with your demo tape, you did the gigs and you built up a following. Nobody gave you an easy out.
This baffles me. How is practicing for years as a singer and then trying out for a global competition easy? It's the exact same as trying to get noticed through labels, just on TV. You're putting yourself out there. Just because it's publicised more doesnt make it easier.
Do you think the people that win X Factor never practiced or trained for it?

Quote:
And why am I saying this? It's all in the article, did you not read it? It's mostly down to the, as butthead says, sense of entitlement people, especially young people have. Now if they hear a good singer they don't say oh you should join a band, they say you should go on the X Factor. And half of the so-called stars that thing manufactures like some gigantic printing press aren't worthy of being called such, they're just clones that are produced to a blueprint the record companies and the TV audience want.
Everyone has a chance to be on X Factor or American Idol or the like. If you dont want to that's your choice. You are actively choosing to not go on because of whatever reasons you have. But it's not entitlement to not want to be in a band. It's crazy to think that everyone who just "wants to get famous" does. In reality not that many do.
I wonder, do you think that winning the lottery means you are a less deserving millionaire? Luck plays a role in everything, but how many of those bands that scrounge around for any small venue show would make it big on X Factor? My guess is it's just as small an amount as the ones that made it from playing shows back in your day.

(also yeah im pretty new to this journal thing, and i dont know if im doing im doing this right haha.)
Ninetales is offline   Reply With Quote