Music Banter - View Single Post - The Playlist of Life --- Trollheart's resurrected Journal
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013, 07:05 PM   #2070 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
I think we're going to have to agree to disagree here as we're kind of going in circles now but I wanted to clear this up:

My lottery analogy was more to emphasize that whether or not you agree with how they got there, they are still millionaires. It shouldnt matter if someone gets their break on X Factor or by touring for months in a VW van. You can succeed or fail either way.

"Fair play to anyone that wins".

Let's just say for ease of argument that going on X Factor is easier. Then you concede that you know of an easier way to become famous. If that's not your goal with respect to being a musician, then fine. But you realized that you could try out. You could be famous. It's the same as buying a lottery ticket. You didnt buy a lottery ticket so you didnt win. But dont complain when someone is announced a millionaire. It's fair game.
Yeah like you say it's probably not gonna happen that we agree, but now that I understand your lottery analogy, here's how I see it.

1. There are two ways to make (potentially) a fortune. Method 1, buy a lottery ticket and win. Same as going on the XF and becoming famous.

2. You can work hard, save, invest wisely, lose some money, recoup losses etc and eventually reap the rewards. This to me equates to getting on the road/in the studio with your band and making it work, or hoping to.

Option 1 = everything is handed to you (you win for the price of a lottery ticket, one time deal, nothing huge involved, just blind luck and chance)

Option 2 = You work for what you get. Nobody hands it to you.

Anyway that's how I see it but like you say we'll agree to disagree.

Must say, I didn't expect this level of debate about the bloody X Factor going in Room 101! Wish I'd had this interest when I used it as a thread subject, quickly sunk! Maybe the next choice will be as controversial.

Or maybe not...