Music Banter - View Single Post - The Batlord Likes Scuzzy, Low-Rent Metal, and You Should Too
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2013, 09:25 AM   #61 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Destruction: Sentence of Death EP - 1984

Known far and wide by anyone with a lack-of-a-brain as a thrash metal band, on this, their debut EP, they were more of a primitve, none-more-filthy speed metal band. Most speed metal bands opt for an Iron-Maiden-at-double-speed approach, but Destruction seemed to have taken more inspiration from Venom and combined moderately technical (I think) metal with the piss and noise of first wave black metal to produce something feral and ugly. And say what you will about Schmier's cheesey vocals, but they do the job and bring the intensity to a higher level. I don't think they ever really topped this record, though their full-length debut, Infernal Overkill, was close, mainly because it was pretty much the same thing.

Of course I can't leave you without mentioning the cover. Just look at these goons: spiked wristbands, bullet belts, inverted-cross necklaces, far too much leather, that ****ing hair... Is it even possible to be more metal than these guys? No. It is not.

P.S. And yes, "Total Desaster" is spelled correctly.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote