Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's all-time favourite albums ever (ever!)
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 03:27 PM   #13 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Oceanic --- Vangelis --- 1996

Despite what some might think, not all of Vangelis's music is fast and electronic, though much is, typified by film scores such as "Blade runner" and "Chariots of fire". I'm a big fan of the man, but where I like him best is when he slows it down to the sort of atmospheric, spacey or lush instrumentals that just make you want to close your eyes and let yourself sink into the music's warm embrace.

"Apocalypse des animaux" is one such album. "Oceanic" is another. One of my favourite Vangelis recordings, it's not surprisingly based around a theme of the sea, with the sound of mermaids singing in "Sirens' whispering", soft Spanish guitar adding its flavour to "Spanish harbour", and joyous slightly uptempo beats in "Aquatic dance", before the whole thing finishes with an orchestral flourish.

When I reviewed this I noted it's hard to review instrumental albums, though not impossible, and how I approached this was to consider the music representing different stages of a sea voyage, a travelogue of the ocean, and indeed this is what it was used for in the documentary "Deep sea, deep secrets", to which it formed the soundtrack. Perfect, as they say, harmony. I always feel like I've gone on a journey when I listen to this album, and I imagine that's how it's constructed, with its booming, big orchestral fanfare opening leading into quieter, more reserved moments along the way, and always the heartbeat of the album, the sound of surf and wind, seagulls and creaking timbers keeping you company so that you really do feel like you're aboard some ancient galleon, sailing the seven seas.

To listen to this album properly, I think you need to slap on a decent set of headphones or at least play the album on a good sound system. It doesn't have to be loud, but just use a system that can pick up on all the nuances and sound effects, and the little musical tricks Vangelis uses. Make sure to dim the lights or switch them off entirely, grab your favourite drink (before you turn off the lights, sorry about that!) and just sit back, close your eyes and drift away on an odyssey of musical ecstasy.

TRACKLISTING

1. Bon voyage
2. Sirens' whispering
3. Dreams of surf
4. Spanish harbour
5. Island of the orient
6. Fields of coral
7. Aquatic dance
8. Memories of blue
9. Song of the seas