Music Banter - View Single Post - The Couch Potato: Trollheart's Televisual and Cinematic Emporium
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2013, 03:40 PM   #177 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

All I want for Christmas (1991)
Sassy kids and Christmas just go together, don’t they? God save us! Is this the seasonal version of “The parent trap” mixed in with liberal doses of “Home alone” (doesn’t matter whether it’s the original or any of the three sequels, they’re each as bad as the other) or what? Tell me more, IMDB!

"All I Want For Christmas" is a comedy about two New York City children who launch a hilarious scheme to get what they most want this holiday season. Ethan, a practical older brother, and adorable Hallie, who knows how to charm her way out of a difficult situation, are intent on spending Christmas with their parents, Catherine and Micheal, and grandmother Lillian. As Ethan and Hallie embark on their adventure, almost nothing goes exactly as they planned. Complicating things is a smarmy businessman named Toney Boer, who has taken an interest in Catherine. Ethan, meanwhile, is preoccupied with not only his parents' romantic dilemma, but also his own - one brought about by his new friendship with Stephanie, his first teenage crush. What evolves is an elaborate scheme involving mice, telephone calls and an ice-cream truck, as Ethan and Hallie try to achieve their goal with the help of Stephanie. The duo's primary obstacle is their mother's fiance, Tony. The children finally succeed with a little Christmas magic from Santa Claus.

And there you have it. You have been warned. There is another movie of the same name released in 2007, though I can’t say if it’s a remake, and would you believe a third one due this year? This one is so new that IMDB don’t even have a basic summary of it up yet, so for all I know it could be a rewrite of this.

Who’s in the original, I hear you ask? ekil ot hsiw No, I definitely heard you ask. You did. Well, someone did and it wasn’t me, unless you think I can throw my voice. What? What picture of me and a ventriloquist’s dummy? Where on the internet, exactly?Well anyway, the question has been asked --- not important by who --- and must be answered. So: Scott Wolf is in it. You remember him from that “Tenth kingdom” thing, don’tcha? Oh, and of course the obligatory Leslie Nielsen, a man who’s made a career in comedy out of not being funny. The original Straight Man. Also Lauren Bacall, amazingly. Thought she was dead? Bet she wishes she was after appearing in this! And that’s about it, luckily.

Last edited by Trollheart; 12-17-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Trollheart is offline   Reply With Quote