Music Banter - View Single Post - Longest Creativity Peak
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 02:16 AM   #17 (permalink)
Rjinn
The Aerosol in your Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland View Post
I think that I love the Captain more than anyone on Musicbanter, but Captain Beefheart definitely had a decline in quality with his two 1974 releases, Unconditionally Guaranteed and Bluejeans and Moonbeams. Granted, were they releases from another group I would most likely herald them as rather good, but for the Captain it was a hefty disappointment. I think his peaks went as such: 1967-1972 and 1976-1982. In short, I think he just released two bad albums while the rest were worthy of the acclaim that they held, save for the fact that the best of the best of Beef will forever be criminally underrated, imo.
Bluejeans and Moonbeams is a very hit and miss for me. Bit more miss. At times there are some good blues riffs, twisted and nice tunes but it's a very watered down album that can get really tedious. The only thing I really appreciate is how it depicts Captain Beefheart going from obscure to melodic.

Unconditionally Guaranteed is ok. Same level as Bluejeans and Moonbeams. Didn't hold my interest.

Edit: God, I hate spelling those albums.

Last edited by Rjinn; 12-17-2013 at 06:53 AM.
Rjinn is offline   Reply With Quote