Music Banter - View Single Post - Trollheart's all-time favourite albums ever (ever!)
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 08:51 AM   #18 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

From the standpoint of actually learning and playing the entire album when first starting out as a guitar player, I have to say my take on the entire thing is quite different. Picking apart the rhythms alone was enough to make me wanna punch a wall, but I had to learn the solo's too, and in doing so it created a strong bond for me with each song. So, for me there isn't a bad song on the album.

Quote:
2. Children of the Damned - Why some bands decide to open with a belter and then follow it with a ballad I have no idea. It's a metal album. And not an "avant-garde" metal album either. It's just a straight up metal album. It needs to set the tone for such an album with more than one headbanger. It doesn't help that it's a rather dull song either.
This is one of the type of comments that comes from having a preset opinion formed from exposure to other elements (bands) that have permeated into ones mind. When the album came out, there was nothing like it and thus this was what was presented in it's intended form. Why does this "HAVE TO BE" a metal album, and not avant-garde? Who made that rule? NO ONE. The peaks and valleys of the tracks were what made this special for me.

The rest of your review is pretty much on par with that quote, so instead of repeating myself, I'll just say that you can have your opinion, but it's really subjective to ones environment.

And remember... opinions are like *******s. Everybody's got one. Even me.