Music Banter - View Single Post - The Batlord Likes Scuzzy, Low-Rent Metal, and You Should Too
View Single Post
Old 12-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #66 (permalink)
The Batlord
Zum Henker Defätist!!

Mayhem: Deathcrush EP - 1987

I've never been a particularly big Mayhem fan, but I got's some love for Deathcrush. I mean don't get me wrong, if it's possible for musical quality to be objective then this album sucks, but it sucks so good. At this point Mayhem were still basically a death metal band, but they manage to not quite sound like any other DM band, not so much because they were innovative, but because they just didn't really seem to know what they were doing. Sorta like Sepultura's first album. I mean I love me some sloppy death metal, but good lord this is just trash. Thankfully that just makes me like it all the more.

First thing that jumps out is their "singer" Maniac. Dude has a unique wailing screech that I'm sure either grates on your nerves or sounds kvlt as **** depending on whether or not you floss your teeth with your boyfriend's pubes. I can't really think of anyone to compare him to. All I know is he rules. I actually need to check out their Grand Declaration of War and Chimera albums since they also feature him. Although on "Pure Fucking Armageddon" and the cover of Venom's "Witching Hour" they opt to let some guy called Messiah do the vocal duties. He does his job admirably but isn't nearly as notable as Maniac.

The next thing you'd notice might be the ****ty production. They seemed to have been going for a Bathory sound, but couldn't quite nail the atmospheric quality. But in reaching for the stars they still landed on the moon, cause it's bleak and gloriously filthy sounding.

Musically, like I said, this is simplistic, old school eighties death metal. But unlike a lot of bands that tried to race each other to the finish line Mayhem, either because of a different approach or because they couldn't play any faster, often opted for a more mid-paced, heavy-riffing approach. They nail it pretty well too with some truly badass riffs that sound like a chainsaw due to the production. What more could a goon like me ask for?

Edit: Last night I almost punched myself in the face for not getting the Celtic Frost influence with the mid-paced riffs.

There is only one bright spot and that is the growing habit of disgruntled men of dynamiting factories and power-stations; I hope that, encouraged now as ‘patriotism’, may remain a habit! But it won’t do any good, if it is not universal.

Last edited by The Batlord; 12-18-2013 at 11:32 AM.
The Batlord is offline   Reply With Quote