Music Banter - View Single Post - Albums You're Digging II
View Single Post
Old 12-18-2013, 10:09 PM   #10104 (permalink)
Frownland
SOPHIE FOREVER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninetales View Post
[snip]

best hip hop album of the new decade probably maybe
That's a fantastic album, also one of my favourites of the decade. So far billy woods is a contender for a repeat winner of my album of the year decision with his most recent release "Dour Candy" produced entirely (which is unique for woods, usually he has a lot of producers) by Blockhead. woods has definitely become one of my top 5 favourite emcees. Since he's so wordplay oriented and reference heavy I keep finding new things in his lyrics and I think that's why I like him so much: because he is so rewarding to listen to.

I've been craving some really good drums lately, so a couple of weeks ago I threw on Peter Brotzmann's "Machine Gun" and have not stopped listening. This is almost one of those albums where everybody does a fantastic job on the record and it's easier to just enjoy the album for how brilliant it is than to pick out my favourite element of it. Some albums of that qualification include Mahavishnu Orchestra's Birds of Fire, Eric Dolphy's Out to Lunch!, and Etron Fou Leloublan's Batelages among many others. That being said, the drums on this record especially kick some downright ass when Han Bennink and Sven-Ake Johansson (the former being infinitely superior to the latter) combine their efforts to add to this cacophonous mess. I guess that I say this because while I listen to different parts intently with each listen, I find myself focusing in on the drums more often as they're so damn incredible and unique (to a degree). The bassists and saxophonists also work well within their collective effort, with Brotzmann and Evan Parker being the shining stars of the horn section (Williem Breuker falls short only because he doesn't reach the free jazzily enlightened state of the other saxophonists). Fred Van Hove also plays a mad, fitting, and original piano niche in the album that really shines during the solos.

Please, listen to this record or regret putting it off for so long like I did.

Last edited by Frownland; 12-18-2013 at 11:40 PM.
Frownland is offline   Reply With Quote