Music Banter - View Single Post - Christine Salem
Thread: Christine Salem
View Single Post
Old 12-19-2013, 09:05 PM   #5 (permalink)
Neapolitan
carpe musicam

Christine Salem is from La Réunion (a province of France) which is an island east of Madagascar in the Indian Ocean. She speaks French and sings in various languages either (Réunion) Creole, Malagasy (Madagascar), Comoran or Swahili. The Style of music she performs is a mixture of African traditions also mixed with a traditional music of La Réunion called Maloya, which original come from slaves traded throught he Mozambique canal. Maloya was originally for religious ceremony, but it was also used for protest music and was banned by the French government in the 70's; the banned was lifted in the 80s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christine Salem
"I like percussion, drums. I love it. It captivates me, it fills me with the emotion, the sensation. I like that. It's like a return to my roots."
Her favorite instrument (I'm guessing because she is often seen playing it) is the "kayamb" which is made from bamboo with seeds inside, which goes by various names one which is called the "rosary pea" according to wikipedia.

"it counts in our hearts" ?ºº?
“I have nothing to offer anybody, except my own confusion.” Jack Kerouac.
“If one listens to the wrong kind of music, he will become the wrong kind of person.” Aristotle.
"If you tried to give Rock and Roll another name, you might call it 'Chuck Berry'." John Lennon
"I look for ambiguity when I'm writing because life is ambiguous." Keith Richards
Neapolitan is offline   Reply With Quote