Music Banter - View Single Post - My tastes in music - an essay on my esthetics of music
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 07:49 PM   #12 (permalink)
galt54
Music Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by xLizardx View Post

On the other hand though, I would purport that it's entirely possible for music to be both melodically memorable, AND mentally stimulating: for instance, one can write articulate, eloquent lyrics that are also extremely catchy.

Personally, I like music to be "clever", AND enjoyable, because then it can be appreciated on two different levels.
I much prefer simple music to complex music. But that is merely my unique taste. I am not saying that simple music is "better" than complex stuff.

The fact that I prefer simple music, and cannot even listen to complex music - is probably a consequence of the circumstance that I went through a psychosis when I was a teenager. My diagnosis was schizophrenia. After I recovered from my psychosis my mind was never the same. My mind never again had the same capacity which it did before my illness.

By the way - while we are on the subject of psychosis in the context of a forum for discussion of music:

My recovery from my schizophrenia was facilitated by the music of Blue Öyster Cult! I was obsessed with the music of these pioneers of hard rock/heavy metal during the first few years of my recovery. I would listen to the music of BÖC for hours on end. I loved the first three albums (i.e. the albums of the "black and white period"). The reason for which I believe that BÖC facilitated my recovery from psychosis is the fact that I built up my ability to focus on things "out there in reality" when I concentrated on that weird, but melodic, music - instead of remaining lost all the time in my fascinating (for me) but useless daydreams.

So music can be good therapy - literally!
galt54 is offline   Reply With Quote