Music Banter - View Single Post - Straight Outta the Coffin!
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2013, 08:07 PM   #29 (permalink)
William_the_Bloody
Music Addict

The Smiths - (Album) 1984

The Smiths self titled debut album firmly establishes the sound that would carry them throughout their career, it's a great record, so I will quickly walk through some of the songs.

The first two tracks off the album are nice somber tunes for a rainy day, but the album doesn't kick off for me until we hit Miserable Lie, a forgotten classic that starts off with a soft lullaby tone, before transforming itself into a high energy dance tune. This is personally one of my favourite Smiths' songs, as everything from Morrissey's whimsical lyrics, to Marr's nifty guitar riffs all clique together perfectly.

Miserable Lie

Both of their first singles appear on the US release, so here is a better recorded version of Hand in Glove.

Hand in Glove

The final song I'll put down for this album is Still Ill, another popular classic from the band.

Still ill

This album eeks out 4 stars for me, if they had put the singles version of "What Difference Does it Make", on the record it would throw the album over the top, that being said, this is a nice tranquil record from start to finish, the Smiths were the masters of making lullaby rock tunes, and it is much harder to make a good soft rock album than something that gets you going just because its spiked your testosterone levels.

**** stars, thumbs up.
William_the_Bloody is offline   Reply With Quote