Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 04:21 AM   #647 (permalink)
Moshe
Music Addict

Bob Dylan is an uneven artiste, I think, both on record & even more so on record.
But he was one of the greatest songwriter's of the 20th Century, and has had a profound influence on folk, rock & country music.
There are my favourite Dylan albums:
His debut, self titled album from 1962 contained only two Dylan originals, but is one of the great folk albums & the two Dylan songs on it, "Song To Woody" & "Talking New York Blues" are both good ones.
John Wesley Harding from 1967 is one of Dylan's all time best. Some great, sometimes obscure, song writing, delivered superbly. All acoustic, & with country closing track "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight".
"Nashville Skyline" from 1969 will always be a favourite, with a nice country vide & my personal fave "Tonight I'll be staying here with you"
"Self Portrait" from 1970 is often disregarded. But on this double album of covers, Dylans' voice had seldom sounded better.
"Desire" from 1976 is, I think Dylans' best from that decade. Wonderful musicianship, great production (often a weak point on Dylan albums) and some solid songs.
Not that much after that I'm interested in from Dylan. I saw him in concert at the Docklands arena some years back & I thought he was awful.
I would love to see Dylan, just acoustic guitar plus a few backing musicians, in a club situation.
Dylan never convinced me as a Rocker. It is his songwriting that sets him apart from the rest.
I have one Dylan bootleg. It is the sessions Dylan did with Johnny Cash. It is of historic interest- the two friends who so admired each other- singing a variety of well known songs in an informal atmosphere. But it is weak. I am not surprised that neither wanted to see it released.
Moshe is offline   Reply With Quote