Music Banter - View Single Post - Bob Dylan
Thread: Bob Dylan
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #648 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe View Post
John Wesley Harding from 1967 is one of Dylan's all time best. Some great, sometimes obscure, song writing, delivered superbly. All acoustic, & with country closing track "I'll Be Your Baby Tonight".
"Nashville Skyline" from 1969 will always be a favourite, with a nice country vide & my personal fave "Tonight I'll be staying here with you"
"Self Portrait" from 1970 is often disregarded. But on this double album of covers, Dylans' voice had seldom sounded better.
"Desire" from 1976 is, I think Dylans' best from that decade. Wonderful musicianship, great production (often a weak point on Dylan albums) and some solid songs.
I agree about John Wesley Harding, and liked some of the softer numbers like Copper Kettle on Self Portrait, but overall that album is way too patchy for me. Have you listened to Another Self Portrait ? To me, it´s a much more consistent collection of songs.
Yes, Desire is wonderful, but the chronologically next, Street Legal is even more powerful imo.

Quote:
I would love to see Dylan, just acoustic guitar plus a few backing musicians, in a club situation.
^ Dream on, Moshe ! I don´t think he does that any more, but your comment reminded me of this. It´s from when I invited the guys around to my house in Athens one time:-