Music Banter - View Single Post - Anteater's 25 Favorite Albums of 2013
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2013, 05:56 PM   #31 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Batlord View Post
...Why would anyone want to listen to Rise of the Tyrants when they could just put this on instead?
Because some people don't care about good muzak my batty broseph.

So...onward to numbah 11!

11. Brother Ape - Force Majeure

Genre: Indie-prog, Swedish Power Pop, Math Rock, Electronic Rock

Sounds Like: Blur, Rush, Radiohead, Smashing Pumpkins, Yes, Mew, The Outfield

Criminally underrated and obscure to the point of incredulity, I can't think of a band I've ever run across who deserve a wider audience more than Swedish prog rock power trio Brother Ape. Their albums are vital, hungry sounding things with more than a touch of melancholy and wide-eyed hope, and 2013's Force Majeure is no exception. Riddle me this: is it possible to be musically life affirming whilst simultaneously making you feel like you've been standing in the middle of a wide open field as an ice cold wind blows by? Through a marriage of beautiful inconsistencies, this band somehow does the trick. They're way beyond "prog" or whatever people like to peg them as: they're simply masters of good music, period.

The songs throughout this little odyssey work on many levels: some are deliberately crafted to have some of the most inspired verse-to-chorus hook progressions this side of 90's Brit-pop ('The Mirror', 'Doing Just Fine', 'Life') while other songs will go out of their way to challenge you with extended instrumental sections and stylistic fragmentations ('Distinction', 'A Hundred Voices'). What constant elements there are consist of the languid, soaring vocals + guitar fretwork of Stefan Damicolas, the fluid drum intricacies of Max Bergman and some massive basslines courtesy of Gunnar Maxén...and dayum son, that's a helluva chemistry.

Six albums in now and I never see these guys get talked about, even in the hardcore prog circles. Hopefully this magnificent little record will start to turn that trend around, but hey...sometimes its not a bad thing to have all the best bands to yourself. Happy to share in any case!

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 12-22-2013 at 10:21 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote