Music Banter - View Single Post - Urban's 'Doctor Who' Thing
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 05:36 AM   #10 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Hat€monger ? View Post
The reason I left The Moonbase and The Abominable Snowmen off the list is simply because I only wanted to include stories that have more than half of the story still existing. In fact I just realised I forgot put The Crusade in that list too which is going to screw my numbering up.
Both have 4 episodes and have 2 missing. I don't mind doing a 6 or an 8 parter with 2 missing like Reign of Terror, Ice Warriors or The Invasion, but I think 2 out of 4 is pushing it. Plus I wanted to stick to the ones that are commercially available, or will be.
Moonbase is one of my favourite Cybermen stories and its also one of the most underrated as well, as it sits near the far better known Tenth Planet, Invasion and the masterpiece Tomb of the Cybermen (surely a candidate for top spot)

Quote:
I never read the Target books as a kid. I think I'm the next generation after you, it was all about Fighting Fantasy books when I was a kid. In fact I didn't even know Target books existed till I was about 16 or 17. I do remember buying the novelisation of The Enemy Of The World because I found it interesting that it was totally different to the usual monster stories of the Troughton era, plus I was thinking I would never get to see that story. I was really happy it was that story they discovered last month.
I was more about the New Adventures books which had just started being released around that time.
The Target books are superb and I'd say that around 50% of them are actually better than the TV versions. For example The Cave Monsters book is better than the TV version, as it adds more depth to the history of the Silurians and also gives them individual names etc. On the other hand the Sea Devils book is not as great as the Sea Devils TV version (which is probably one of the very best Pertwee stories) Sure Enemy of the World is an oddity in the Troughton era.

Quote:
I also love the Pertwee era, in fact I'm hard pressed to find a Pertwee era stinker. Even Invasion of the Dinosaurs is a great story, it's just the dinosaur moments are total crap. But there's a cracking story going on around it.
The Pertwee era was quite revolutionary at the time as it was obviously the first season in colour, the Doctor initially grounded to Earth and no recognised enemy until his third season. The first season was unique (some I know regard it as the best season ever in Who) and the second with the Master in every story was also special with the legendary Roger Delgado.

I always think of the Jon Pertwee era as being solid throughout with no real weaknesses and the only weak link being the constant use of UNIT which by the end of his era, had long gone by their use by date.
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History