Music Banter - View Single Post - Anteater's 25 Favorite Albums of 2013
View Single Post
Old 12-25-2013, 05:15 PM   #35 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

7. Dimension - 26

Genre: Contemporary Jazz-Fusion

Sounds Like: Mahavishnu Orchestra, The Rippingtons, T-Square

So...I love jazz. Love it no matter what shape, form or category it manifests in. Whether it's the big band stuff of the 40's, the crazy fusion experimentation of the 70's or the modern hip-hop/nu-jazz/whatever else hybridization that has emerged over the last decade, I'm a sucker for saxes, brass ensembles and the intense level of ability you need just to do anything half decent in the genre.

Enter Japanese jazz-trio Dimension, one of the best high energy fusion ensembles on the planet and boasting not only a wicked, greased lightning-like chemistry between the sax, guitar and other instrumentation, but some crackin' songwriting chops as well. 26 is, as you might guess, their 26th release since their formation in the late 80's. And as someone who has heard all their stuff (more or less)...well, it might just be right at the top of the heap for me. Some of the best "hooks" and punchiest arrangements I've ever heard from them are right here on this LP, with special mention to the supersonic "Skype Me', the 8-minute epic shuffle of 'Visions' and the keyboard led 'Cool In The Shade' which simply bristles with life.

I've been pretty enamored with this band's particular approach to contemporary jazz for quite some time now, but they've always been a hard sell to someone who doesn't like the smoother side of fusion to begin with. Still, 2013 was lucky to get another release from 'em, and this baby's so on point I think I'll just recommend 26 to everyone as the gateway record into their music and let the rest take care of itself.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.

Last edited by Anteater; 12-25-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote