Music Banter - View Single Post - Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 07:25 AM   #452 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Hard, Heavy and Worth a Mention 1979

Blackfoot Strikes 1979 (Atco)
Southern Rock

A southern attack with a blustery wind.

Blackfoot were probably the heaviest of all the better known southern rock bands and like Molly Hatchet before them are well worth a mention in this journal. Also seemingly like almost every southern rock band they hailed from Jacksonville Florida so their credentials from the word go were spot on. But what made Blackfoot unique and the clue was surely in the band’s name, was that they were a wholly Native American rock band that were fronted by guitarist/vocalist and principal composer Rickey Medlocke. Unlike some of their fellow southern rock bands, Blackfoot were somewhat economical with the amount of musicians in the band and opted for the standard four man set-up. Blackfoot as a band had been touring for about a decade by the time 1979 arrived and had previously released two average sounding albums in No Reservation 1975 and Flyin’ High 1976, but it was with the release of their third album the serpent covered inspired Strikes that they made their breakthrough, with the album cracking the US top 50 album chart. Strikes as an album always struck me as being one of the stronger southern rock albums around this time that I’m aware of (as said on the Molly Hatchet review, my knowledge of southern rock is far from great) The album is heavy and consistent throughout and the band’s decision to include three cover songs in a ten track album was always going to be risky, but the three song covers of “I Got a Line on You” by Spirit “Pay My Dues” by Blues Image and the well known “Wishing Well” by Free are all well executed and actually enhance the album, especially the Free cover. The original cuts on the album are strong as well and are highlighted with songs like the album opener “Road Fever” which is hard rock pure southern style and songs like the hit single “Train, Train” but the highlight of the album is surely the album closer the dynamic sounding “Highway Song” an epic 7 minute track which harks right back to the band's 60s and 70s roots. It's a spectacular piece of music and on listening to it, the band's influences are as clear as day and include the Animals, Jefferson Airplane and Fleetwood Mac who can all be heard here amongst others.

Rickey Medlocke- Guitar/Vocals
Charlie Hargrett- Guitar
Greg T.Walker- Keyboards/Bass
Kackson Spires- Drums

Production- Al Nalli and Henry Weck
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 12-26-2013 at 08:15 AM.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote