Music Banter - View Single Post - Ads or Photos Found in Your 1950's-1980Used Classic Rock Album Finds
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 08:21 AM   #1 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Default Ads or Band Photos Found in Your 1950's-1980's Used Classic Rock Album Finds

This is a spot where we get to show off those cool little bits of promotional packaging or cool photos we usually find in the sleeves of our Classic Used Album Travels that usually met the dustbin/garbage dump shortly after one buys an album. As I usually go through the regular price/Dollar Dump bins, I'm usually surprised that some things are kept in the sleeve after all these years although the well worn covers suggest that the best you will get is a good condition album at best. This is not to show off high horse riding collectivity, but for us to enjoy the world of Music Promotion in a time before Videos.

Also, a little Youtube action in the post of your favorite song from the album may be a good touch as well.

If it is an offer (ie T-shirt, Fan Club stuff), please state that it's no longer valid and state the due date for clarity. This is for Retro Memories only.

PS: Try to keep the finds connected to the band and/or album you're writing about.

My sections may be fused into my Ghost Mall Music journal, as I have been aiming to get it re-activated once more, but I'm testing this out here with (I hope) some very cool contributions. DIG THROUGH YOUR ALBUMS!

Onward!

For my first example, Areosmith's Draw the Line came with a cool ad for their then-recent T-Shirt and Fan Club letter ("Aero Knows"). The shirt may be a collector's item now considering the survival and success of a long standing classic Rock band despite it featuring the not so attractive front cover by then-known artist Al Herschfled that looked like the line drawings found in newspapers of the day. The white of most of it's cover certainly reflected what the "line" was all about, but thankfully the music inside recorded in a disused convent was more than just being there then (ahem!) as it was a good if not Rocks-solid collection of rockers featuring Steven Tyler's influential singing at full force especially on the title track and the epic "Kings and Queens" and Joe Perry even trying out a Rock-Punker on his turn on "Bright Light Fright".

Keep in mind that the offer ended Sept. 30, 1978 - a good 35 years plus ago!

Ads or Photos Found in Your 1950's-1980Used Classic Rock Album Finds-image-134-.jpg

Ads or Photos Found in Your 1950's-1980Used Classic Rock Album Finds-image-135-.jpg

In retrospect, Draw the Line has been called out as a great album, but back in the day many have called it the start of the long fall that lasted until the Late 80's. If you agree with Kerrang!'s recent appraisal or Rolling Stone Record Guide's two star review, like it or lump it, Draw the Line is in all essence the final of the classic Areosmith albums of The 70's.

Sadly, I miss the Promotional Copy I had when I was a kid, with the Columbia white Promo label perfect with the cover and I think the wrap around that might have been on it too (I got it back when they were at a major downfall, parted it when I went Punk...should have kept it!).

Anyway, here's my favorite track, and what I think is a song that has influenced a lot of bands who followed them when they felt they wanted to be more epic and dramatic although certainly not even coming near this choice highlight.

Last edited by Screen13; 12-26-2013 at 09:16 AM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote