Music Banter - View Single Post - Ads or Photos Found in Your 1950's-1980Used Classic Rock Album Finds
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 03:56 PM   #9 (permalink)
Screen13
Music Addict

Over onto some real promotional items once again, here's Angel from the album White Hot from Early 1978. Signed to Casablanca in the label's mega serious heyday, the band which had keyboardist now Las Vegas based CEO Gregg Guiffria was supposed to be a lighter answer to Kiss although sadly the label's Disco reputation stopped a lot of their progress on their way to getting known and their style which really pre-dated Hair Metal by at least a half decade was not what the AOR stations were looking for despite a big stage show that had it's fans (mainly in California, from what I heard). Actually, in The 80's Guiffria the band proved that those who predicted that the keyboardist would move into stardom even for one hit correct although his second 80's band, House of Lords (again helped out by Gene Simmons of Kiss and signed to the short lived Simmons Records) was only moderately successful.

On the negative side of the criticism, this was the band who was made fun of by the one and only Frank Zappa on "Punky's Whips" named after their singer Punky (real first name Edwin) Meadows. Well, to be fair, at least they were made fun of by a talented legend instead of some crap joke merchant.
Also, there was a hard but funny dismissal by Greg Prevost back in the day of their album On Earth As It Is in Heaven in the fanzine Future (as in The Seeds album, I think) - "When I first saw this LP I got excited. I thought Ronald McDonald made an album. Then I found out it was these schmucks - Ronald McDonald WOULD be better than these squares if he put out an LP", although the reality punch line was that Casablanca actually did commission McDonald's for a series of children's albums through KidWorks (as in Casablanca Music and FilmWorks).

Moving on...

In true to form 70's style, there was an ad for Angel Merchandise that was in their wanna-be-big style that's funny as well as very part of it's time. Go ahead and laugh as I do at the bad puns, over the top look, and loud style, but it paved a way for others like them later in the MTV generation.

Hey, I got it for a dollar!

Ads or Photos Found in Your 1950's-1980Used Classic Rock Album Finds-image-145-.jpg

Ads or Photos Found in Your 1950's-1980Used Classic Rock Album Finds-image-146-.jpg

On the Earth Force scan, that's Gregg second to the left.

Wait a minute...Get Your Wings?!!! That's Aerosmith's line!

The mini-hit cover of a song made famous by The (Young) Rascals.

Something timely for this season...

An interview from that era...

Last edited by Screen13; 12-26-2013 at 04:02 PM.
Screen13 is offline   Reply With Quote