Music Banter - View Single Post - Anteater's 25 Favorite Albums of 2013
View Single Post
Old 12-26-2013, 08:36 PM   #36 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

6. Soilwork - The Living Infinite

Genre: Melodic Death Metal

Sounds Like: Scar Symmetry, Opeth, At The Gates, Edge Of Sanity

There aren't too many "melodeath" bands out there with the audacity to release a double album at any point in their careers, much less 2013. But then again, there is only one Soilwork. And if they're not considered the kings of the style yet, it won't be much longer now.

From start to finish, The Living Infinite is both a visceral behemoth and pure candy to the eardrums. You can attribute this fantastic dichotomy to lead vocalist Björn Strid, a man dually blessed with a snarl that could kill flowerbeds and a clean tenor that could drop my girlfriend's panties faster than you you can say "blastbeat". Couple that vocal complexity with his cunning as a songwriter and the talents of the band itself...hell, it's no wonder this album has stood up so well for me since its release early this year. It's not only a top-notch melodic death metal record, but a diverse and deliciously ambitious effort in all the best possible ways.

Out of the twenty songs here, there's a little something for everyone. Miniature masterpieces 'Rise Above The Sentiment' and 'The Windswept Mercy' feature progressions and choruses that would make even some of the best melodic metal outfits green with envy, and you even get an Opeth-styled power ballad with 'Antidotes In Passing'. But for every ounce of melody throughout, expect atleast double the brutality on full throttle numbers like 'Tounge', 'Long Live The Misanthrope' and 'Spectrum Of Eternity'.

Personally, I really encourage bands to really push the creative envelope and try aiming as conceptually high as they can. The best bands like Soilwork will soar with flying colors, but even an average group can atleast look back on the effort and say "well, it's better than Top 40 radio". But I digress: you won't find a better album this year that straddles the extreme and melodic so competently, so I'd give The Living Infinite a whirl just on those merits alone. Bon apetit!

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote