Music Banter - View Single Post - The Unquiet Grave
View Single Post
Old 12-27-2013, 12:01 PM   #1 (permalink)
Taxman
watching the wheels

Default The Unquiet Grave

Once upon a long ago a child was born. He was named Jesus and then he found a company called McDonalds. You know, the usual story. However one day he decided to become a Music Banter member because his father accidentally exploded his head and Jesus did not want to clean that awful bloody mess.

Even ancient dinosaurs knew the meaning of the lost chords. I sadly don't, but I will. Anyway the reason I'm writing this is because I'm a loser and I have no life on my own. So I got to do something to waste my time and so I'll become Jesus (or Stilton Drunkenness).

I have heard rumors that some people say that Bob Dylan ain't a good singer. So I have been wondering and wandering around my mind gardens to find the answer. How can one tell who is good singer and who is not?

EDITOR'S NOTE: I KNOW. Sincerely yours, Allah.

So who decides that? I have been thinking about it a lot (five minutes, exactly), and I have come up with a theory. It is illuminati.

There are many kind of singers out there:

1) Technically good, able to express emotions, good sounding

That class includes singers like Paul McCartney. Nobody can deny they can not sing or anything. Usually everyone admits their singing talents.

2) Technically bad, able to express emotions, good sounding
That class includes for example, Willie Nelson. He sounds good even if he's out of time. Usually nobody complaints, usually they get compliments because their unique style.

3) Technically bad, able to express emotions, bad sounding

Ok, what sounds bad and what not is usually a matter of opinions. But some people consider Bob Dylan as one of those. I don't agree but still. Emotions are the most important thing in music which is why I always prefer Bob over

4) Technically good, unable to express emotions, good sounding.

Like Freddy Mercury. With all respect, he never sang any sincere sentence. Just awful pretentiousness and coldness. I respect their music but I never get any emotional effect from it. It just sounds so cold.

So there's more to the picture than meets the eye. You can be technically good but that is not enough. The lack of true emotions can not he saved by your singing skills but the lack of skills can be saved with sincerity.

So what I'm trying to say? I don't know but let's pretend I do.
This is an allegory. A biblical allegory. It seems like many people are good when you look at them for the first time, but soon you'll notice they're as empty as hell. I mean, usually nowadays everything sounds pleasant but not much more.

That means it is a faud. Too good production can make an empty picture look like Da Vinci. A musician who is virtuoso can make a song that is no song look like a song. But it is still not a real song, mind you.
So I always get annoyed when people talk about musicianship and how technical perfection matters a much. But it is songwriting that matters the much.

So in this world of ours we have too many guitar heroes and people like that, but not too many great songwriters. You can take a dookie and make it look a like a cutlet but still it tastes like a dookie. And smells like one.

Last edited by Taxman; 12-27-2013 at 12:48 PM.
Taxman is offline   Reply With Quote