Music Banter - View Single Post - The Unquiet Grave
View Single Post
Old 12-28-2013, 01:01 PM   #15 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taxman View Post
Oh no, I just can't get Bruce. I have tried, though. But I know this is one of my problems that I made my statements sound like they were facts and all.
You know, after all, like I said, If I don't like something it is my problem. But maybe Bruce is easier get if you live in America, or something. I admit he has an extraordinary talent and he is good at affecting people and their feelings. It it just that arena-rock attitude that spoils it from me.

But well, maybe we disagree so badly that we cannot discuss Bruce. But it is always hard for me to explain why I like something or why I don't.
Nah. I live in Ireland and have no problem relating to his lyrics, and any time he plays London, Paris, Berlin or a hundred other venues they're sold out in minutes. Anyway, if you were to tag every American act as "too American" where would you be? Bruce can play Giants Stadium or Times Square, or some little coffee shop in Seattle, and still exude the same charm, honesty, workingman ethic and connectedness (is that a word?) that he does in the stadia, so it's nothing to do with arena-rock. I saw both Steve Earle and BB King in a small venue here called the Stadium --- holds about two thousand people I think --- and had as good a time there as I would have had in the O2, Millennium Dome or whatever. You can't categorise artistes as "arena-rock acts" unless that's all or most of what they do, and when someone gets famous and popular, well of course they're going to play arenas, as the most people possible want to see them. It's what you do in the arena, and whether it changes in a smaller, more intimate venue, in my opinion that defines the artist.