Music Banter - View Single Post - Ten Years of Music Banter
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 07:27 AM   #151 (permalink)
Lisnaholic
...here to hear...

^ Banville that´s a good invention!
My apologies for this long, on-topic post:-

I´ve only been here for three of MB´s ten years, so I have just 30% nostalgia rights. I can´t lament early members who have moved on, but I have my own list of posters who I wish were still around:-

tore, jackpat, sk, skaligojura, petula07, bloozcruz, vegangelica, blastingas10, chives, and most recently misspoptart and stephen are the ones that come to mind

Shortly after I joined, there was one of MB´s regular, "MB is nothing like it used to be" threads, and I kind of absorbed that idea; that I´d missed out on the golden years of MB. In fact, dipping into some old threads, I found plenty of evidence of the same ephemeral, ping-ponging one-liners that sometimes afflict -or enliven- MB today.

Something I did noticed though, was that there did seem to be a lot more effort made to nurture what tore described as "the health of the MB community". All those "how to" stickies and indexes that Freebase, tore and others set up don´t really have their equivalent today,( with the exception perhaps of Pedestrian´s year of sustained effort and Trollheart´s work with the journals.)

I found one old thread, for example, in which members were allocating between themselves the complete Bowie albums, that they would then review. The dynamic seemed to be, "We should make MB an encyclopedic resource for music lovers." Whether worthy or misguided, my perception is that today, that goal has largely been lost and instead, MB is becoming a kind of alternative Whatzapp or Facebook, with a post/move on/forget mentality.

Well, I´m not making any judgements because MB is, if nothing else, very democratic and inevitably becomes what the majority of contributors want it to be - but I´d be interested to know if anyone else has an overview of MB and can tell me if it has indeed morphed from one creature into another...