Music Banter - View Single Post - How well, if at all, do you know your neighbours?
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 09:24 AM   #1 (permalink)
Trollheart
Born to be mild

Default How well, if at all, do you know your neighbours?

I briefly lived alone for about eight months in the late nineties, in a small cottage in a cul-de-sac off another cul-de-sac, so secluded that often taxis would be unable to find it if I called one. During my time there I never saw or even knew who my neighbours were. Yet back here where I grew up and now live, I've known my neighbours for years and years. When one of them moved out I made it my business to meet the new ones and introduce myself.

It put me in mind that many people may live in places and not know, or meet, their neighbours. In my parents' time you always knew who was living next door to you and the community was very close-knit. But now I wonder?

So, how well do you know your neighbours? Are people living in houses more or less likely to be acquainted with those living next door than those living in high-rise apartments? What about isolated areas? The suburbs? Does it vary from city to city, area to area, country to country?

If your neighbour was sick or even dead, would you know? Do you even know who they are? Or are you on good, familiar terms with them? Be interested what people have to say.