Music Banter - View Single Post - Putting It Into Words: Why the heck do I love this stuff?
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2013, 09:40 AM   #1 (permalink)
James
Account Disabled

Default Putting It Into Words: Why the heck do I love this stuff?

I've been planning this project for a while. I initially wanted to do some sort of music journalism exercise just for my own private use, as a way to improve my writing skills. I study English at university and I have ambitions of writing for a living one day but my technical abilities are not as great as they could be. My head is awash with ideas, I am full of creative energy, I am passionate about my topics - yet I struggle to express all of this in a clear and concise way. Music is a classic example. From as early as I can remember music has at least partially defined me as a person. Music has been one of the most important parts of my life for the last eight years or so. But if asked upfront what it is I like about my favourite albums and songs I struggle. I have distinct memories of posting on this site a few years back and offering little justification other than "the lyrics are good" or "I like the bass" - what makes the lyrics good? What is so so great about the bass? I'm hoping to explore the roots behind my music taste and really get down to the reasons that I love music.

I changed my mind about it being a private exploration when I logged in to Music Banter earlier today for my bi-monthly lurk. I like to check in every now and then just to see if the place still has air in its lungs. I also give my username a quick search to see if anybody still remembers me but when your username is the fourteenth most popular name for boys in the whole world it's a little difficult. I usually just find posts about Tool or Metallica. Anyway it was a little thread called 'Ten Years of Music Banter' that inspired me to post this here. It made me feel all warm and fuzzy inside and I got nostalgic. I had just turned fourteen when I joined the site and I am eighteen now. This place was essential to me in my formative years. It's hard for people to realise the importance of a group of people sharing music on the internet but I truly wouldn't be the person I am today without Music Banter. When you're a lonely, angsty teenager with nobody to really talk to a group of similarly inclined people in a chatroom can go a long way. Today I couldn't be happier with the life I have but I honestly think if Music Banter hadn't taught me the acceptable way to speak to other human beings that would not be the case.

So as a sort of tribute to this place I am going to attempt to delve into my soul here, not in my own company. I have a bad track record with Member Journals as in the past I have made one post then completely abandoned it - I have grown as a person since then and I promise to fight the procrastination! I don't know if I will just post this or if I will post in the actual forums too because I think there are like three members I know left but hey ho. First post coming soon where I will analyse perhaps my favourite night of 2013, the best gig I have ever been to and what truly made it that fantastic!
James is offline   Reply With Quote