Music Banter - View Single Post - The Prog Rock Album Club
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 07:27 AM   #570 (permalink)
Unknown Soldier
Horribly Creative

Toto for me were always something of a passionate love affair and they were the band in the early to mid 1980s that probably resonated with me better than any other band out there. Their music and songs always were in my opinion the ultimate that AOR could offer. They were outstanding songwriters and musicians and always had the cream when it came to vocalists, quite simply I was in love with them. But by the early 1990s I had slowly fallen out of love with them and realised that love is not eternal. Ever since then I still pick up any Toto release or Toto related projected with great vigour, usually in the hope that my love will be rekindled but sadly it never is. Falling in Between is probably one of the more ambitious Toto projects of the last ten years, as they try to blend their classic sound with the sound of some of their progressive rock influences from years gone (just listen to the Jethro Tull influences on Hooked) It has some strong songs thanks to Bobby Kimball's vocals on the opening title track and especially on "No End in Sight" probably the best song on the album. Then there is typical Steve Lukather fare with songs like "Bottom of Your Soul" but some tracks also really drag like "Dying on My Feet" and there are others which are mostly there to just bulk out the album. But by and large none of the songs approach the quality and everlasting appeal of the band's classic era and sadly at the end of the album, I hadn't fallen back in love with them again, but the album did provide me with a certain amount of melancholy. 6/10
If you can't deal with the fact that there are 6+ billion people in the world and none of them think exactly the same that's not my problem. Just deal with it yourself or make actual conversation. This isn't a court and I'm not some poet or prophet that needs everything I say to be analytically critiqued.
Metal Wars

Power Metal

Pounding Decibels- A Hard and Heavy History

Last edited by Unknown Soldier; 12-30-2013 at 07:32 AM.
Unknown Soldier is offline   Reply With Quote