Music Banter - View Single Post - The many benefits of a child-free life
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 09:12 AM   #245 (permalink)
Plankton
Just Keep Swimming...

When my daughter was born I was 27, and her mother was 20. I had already been through the military, and college ($30,000 G.I. bill helped that), and her mother had no formal training, skills or a future for that matter. Nor did she have any inclination to do anything about it. We had our child out of wedlock, and me being the good-natured person that I am , welcomed the new chapter in my life. When my daughter was born, I was there. I absolutely wanted to be there. My mother was in the same hospital getting part of her lower intestine removed, on the same floor but in a different wing. I had a serious sinus infection, and had a job interview that same day as well. I went to the interview, got the job, came back to the hospital, and as it couldn't have been timed any more perfectly, my daughter came into this world. The doctor gave her to me, and as our eyes met for the first time, my daughter smiled at me. That moment right there would be the basis of the next 20 years. I can't tell you how beautiful that moment in my life was. Words cannot describe all the feelings that went through me as I held our little creation in my loving arms.

Fast forward to last night as we were visiting my Dad (her grandfather), and I was thinking about how she has grown into a responsible young adult, figuring out her future. She's transferring from Community College to the Art Institute for her degree in Design and how excited she is. I can't tell you the pride I feel. The little things that others find to be annoyances (snot, diapers, etc.) were just part of what needed to be done. Of course it was a lot of work, but as many of you know the feeling of accomplishment from achieving something from just plain old nose to the grindstone mindset, I am and will continue to be fulfilled. I understand it's not something that would be expected from everyone and I respect that. I can only sit back and beam with pride as my daughter fills my heart with love each and every single day.

Just wanted to reveal the other side of the coin here. Cheers my friends.

Edit: Posted this as Lisnaholic was presenting the same idea. Couldn't be any more spot on Lis.

Last edited by Plankton; 12-30-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Plankton is offline   Reply With Quote