Music Banter - View Single Post - The Black Books
Thread: The Black Books
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 06:13 PM   #10 (permalink)
Lord Larehip
Account Disabled

The Book of the SubGenius: The Sacred Teachings of J. R. “Bob” Dobbs
(Fireside Books, 1983)

Although the book claims no writing credits the main author is one Ivan Stang. He apparently founded the Church of the SubGenius with friend Philo Drummond in 1979. The SubGenius literature claims the Church was founded by J. R. “Bob ” Dobbs in 1953 but every religion claims a false ancient beginning.

The Book spells out the SubGenius belief system. The source is Jehovah-1, the teacher is J. R. “Bob” Dobbs, the goal is slack, the obstacle is the Conspiracy and its dupes and the normals, the way is the casting out of false prophets and the weapon is time control. I’ll add that two of their slogans are “The SubGenius must have slack.” And “Pull the wool over your own eyes!”

So who or what is Bob? Bob is the Supreme Salesman. Bob is the Master of Slack. In fact, as the Book makes clear, Bob is slack. I first encountered the Church of the SubGenius in the service while I was stationed in Philadelphia in 1985. I found the Book on a shelf in a bookstore. Where else? As if Bob was going to do some dippys-hit thing like part the heavens and drop it into my hands while a chorus of angels ululate. That just betrays bad marketing skills. Nope. Bob, the Prophet of Profit, put it on the bookshelves and if I wanted a copy I had to shell out for it like everybody else.

Bob appears everywhere in many forms so that he might reach everyone.

The Book is bizarrely edited and quite hilarious. There is no point to trying to describe it as it defies description. There is also an accompanying video that a friend showed me that was similarly bizarrely edited and hilarious. The following is a different one from what I saw but you get the point. The SubGenius rallies shown are real, I attended one in Philly and it was quite an experience.

ARISE, the SubGenius - YouTube

Does the Church of the SubGenius clash with the Erisians of Discordia? No. One can belong to both religions and many do. In fact, it is very difficult, if not impossible, to be a Discordian and not be a SubGenius and vice-versa. You can have both your gods—you’re paying for it.

So is the Book really a Black Book? Well, what does black symbolize—fear, the unknown, evil, etcetera? Any book that attempts to tear the cover off reality and expose it naked and uncensored to the world is not a Black Book but the Book of the SubGenius doesn’t tear the cover off reality. Bob already did that and the naked, anorexic, splotchy-skinned, shingle-ridden, deformed glump that lay quivering and trembling beneath toothlessly grinning while muttering in senility was enough to create a book that throws the cover back on and quick! We can’t handle the truth and that’s the truth. So the Book is indeed a Black Book. And be grateful for it. Thanks, Bob, we owe you one!
Lord Larehip is offline   Reply With Quote