Music Banter - View Single Post - Anteater's 25 Favorite Albums of 2013
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2013, 08:47 PM   #48 (permalink)
Anteater
Certified H00d Classic

2. Circle Of Illusion - Jeremias: Foreshadow Of Forgotten Realms

Genre: Rock Opera, Jazz, Funk, Disco, Soul, Progressive Metal, Experimental

Sounds Like: Ayreon, Queen, EW&F, Kool & The Gang, Epica, Nightwish, Pain Of Salvation

Sometimes you pick up an album out of morbid curiosity and expect it to be bland, mediocre, or half assed. I've certainly heard enough music in my favorite genres to say I've done my own fair share of digging through trash in hopes of uncovering something unique. To be specific: when it comes to a lot of progressive metal, I've definitely more jaded than I was a decade ago. Too many albums trying to emulate the pioneers and not enough spontaneous creativity. You can imagine how refreshing it is, then, to actually run across something fresh in the genre that innovates and still manages to entertain. Real 'progress', if you will.

Austrian newcomers Circle Of Illusion are exactly the kick in the ass prog-metal has needed for awhile now. They stay just enough in the lines to appeal to fans of the genre, but they aren't afraid to challenge you with their Motown basslines, jazzy orchestrations straight out of the Giorgio Moroder guidebook and THREE excellent lead vocalists who play off eachother beautifully...all of which works seamlessly within the context of a fantasty/opera concept record. Such a mishmash of genres and styles normally wouldn't work...and yet somehow these guys are so talented that the whole thing sounds like a million bucks with hooks and memorability to spare!

Part of why this debut is such a consistent, awesome mindfuck is that its the sole compositional baby of keyboardist/band leader Gerald Peter. This dude, barely out of college, composed this album piece by piece between classes over a five year period before he got a band together to bring it to life. And to think he's barely into his 20's! Something like that goes way beyond talent: we're talking stone cold genius level, and the uncanny energy that fills this guy's imagination shows in every note throughout the LP.

I knew from the very first time I spun this remarkable opus that it was going to end up on my list somewhere. But if you haven't bothered to pick up anything on my list so far, then at least give this sucker a whirl. It really is extraordinary.

Anteater's Daily Tune Roulette

Quote:
Originally Posted by OccultHawk
I was called upon by the muses for greatness.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frownland
I'm bald, ja.
Anteater is offline   Reply With Quote