Music Banter - View Single Post - Songwriting veterans
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 12:57 AM   #6 (permalink)
SonsOfAsaph
Groupie

If you mean writing lyrics then I recommend a good book as a starting point. Lyric writing is a craft and you need to learn the rules before you break them. Most people when starting will write about things they feel or experience and its not surprising love or lack of it is a common lyric topic. It is universal and we can express our emotion in words. However a skilled lyric writer can take any topic under the sun and write a lyric that is concise and relevant but more importantly use language that can touch the emotions of a listener even though as a writer they may have no emotions or feelings about the subject matter.

There are many books but not many which really address the nitty gritty details. I was fortunate to come across a really good one which I can recommend. Its called Successful lyric writing: A step by step course and workbook. Its by Sheila Davis and is published by Writers digest books. It is for complete beginner and takes you through all the basics. There is also The craft of lyric writing by the same author. Most independant reviews rate these books as the best in their field
Good luck!

Last edited by SonsOfAsaph; 12-31-2013 at 01:05 AM.
SonsOfAsaph is offline   Reply With Quote