Music Banter - View Single Post - The Unquiet Grave
View Single Post
Old 12-31-2013, 07:24 AM   #36 (permalink)
Taxman
watching the wheels

REVOLVER PART II

yes, want it or not, I'm back. I'll continue my stupid boring and pseudoscientical article about Revolver by The Magnificent Carpenters.

So, song number eight is a piano pop one. Good Day Sunshine. I suppose it is about a day walk Paul did with himself. And his mirror, of course. It is great song, as usual, but if you are depressed or something, it can make you feel a desire to kill someone. It is over positive. Darkness is a lot more interesting. NUMBER OF BEAST. 666. (8/10)

And Your Bird Can Sing. So you think you have seen the seven wonders, but have you heard this one? A great guitar rock song, with funny lyrics. I still prefer this version though:
And Your Bird Can Sing // Anthology 2 // Disc 1 // Track 19 (Stereo) - YouTube

For No One is a ballad. Again. Paul, what's up with these ballades? Allright, I quite dig this one. It has great melody as usual and that horn solo is magnificent, ain't it? 9/10

The only relatively bad song is Roctor Dopert by John. I can't quite tell why, but it is not as good as the others. It has a melody and it all, I dunno. It is about one doctor who used to sell drugs to his patients. And by saying drugs I don't mean Burana.

The next one is by George. Three songs on a record was quite good for him. And all them rules. I Want To Tell You is a perfect brit-pop song. Not quite innovative but catchy and all. 9/10

Got To Get You Into My Life is a Motown pastiche. One you can't blame them for is monotonous. God Only Knows how many genres they tackled on this record.
The song itself is a an ode to marijuana, as you might have guessed. But the greatest drug song is yet to come.

TOMORROW NEVER KNOWS.
Maybe the best psychedelic song ever. Includes only one chord, but wh cares? Those lyrics are from The Tibetan Book Of Dead, that drum pattern was invented by Paul and George played tamboura on that track. How cool is that?
Anyway, what is the most amazing thing, is that in spite of that magnificent production and all that psychedelia, the main melody is still kinda catchy.

Just like The Beatles themselves. Remember, if you want to he inventive and experimental, that more than okay, but you shouldn't forget pure listenability.