Music Banter - View Single Post - taking up a new instrument
View Single Post
Old 01-02-2014, 05:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
justin22885
Groupie

Default taking up a new instrument

im looking to take up a new musical instrument.. i play a little guitar, and a fair amount of piano.. however, neither of these are what id consider to be all that portable.. guitar sure.. but theyre still fairly large, heavy and piano.. forget about it, and i also play some bagpipes, but bagpipes can only play 9 notes and it just lacks the range to really play whatever i want.. its restrictive

so im looking for an instrument thats easy to carry around, take with me wherever i go, so my first criteria is it has to be portable, easy to carry around

second criteria, well it needs to be capable of atleast 2 full octaves so i can play anything from sheet music

and something that can play in staccato end legato with a focus more on melody than harmony but i wouldnt be opposed to something that can play both

so.. any suggestions?.. what ive been looking at most have been various woodwind instruments (different flutes, clarinets, pennywhistle which is a good start to uilleann pipes later on).. ive never tried this on a reed instrument.. and the only reed instrument i have are bagpipes, but is it possible to alter the sound and get more grit or clarity by using different types or materials for the reed?.. other instruments ive considered include accordian (since i already play piano) and the smaller lighter concertina

the accordian has been interesting me more and more lately.. playing only melody with one hand on the accordian it can actually blend pretty well with other instruments, an instrument i found that has a lot of potential and one that could easily break the stereotype of it being a polka instrument

so yeah, looking for some people that are knowledgeable and could provide more information, advice, or ideas for a new route to go
justin22885 is offline   Reply With Quote